Trauma is the result of a single or ongoing event that causes significant stress to the point that it can hinder the emotional development of children and adults. A traumatic event can be anything from a car accident, family conflicts, wartime, or social pressure to fit in. Trauma-informed care is the best way to treat addiction and other types of mental health illnesses that are directly related to the trauma that is affecting your health and happiness.
At Colorado Medication Assisted Recovery, we provide men and women from all walks of life with trauma-informed care at our private outpatient treatment center. We offer a wide range of behavioral therapies and medication-assisted treatment to reduce withdrawal symptoms and cravings and allow for true healing to begin. Continue reading to learn how trauma-informed care can benefit your recovery. When you are ready to make a positive change in your life, call 833.448.0127 to speak with our friendly staff.
What Is Trauma-Informed Care?
Trauma-informed care is a type of therapy that addresses a single or multiple traumatic events that are causing emotional harm. It helps patients process their feelings in a healthy way instead of turning to drugs and alcohol for temporary relief. If left untreated, trauma can lead to worsening depression, PTSD, and addiction and put them at extreme risk of self-harm or suicide.
The three types of trauma that can affect men and women include:
- Acute – a single traumatic event, such as a car accident, injury, or death of a loved one.
- Chronic – Repeated traumatic events such as domestic violence, school bullying, or emotional abuse from a parent, sibling, or spouse.
- Complex – This type of trauma involves varied and multiple traumatic events over an extended period of time. Examples of complex trauma include incest, kidnapping, or grooming.
At Colorado Medication Assisted Recovery, we help men and women who have experienced a traumatic event. Our therapists have experience working with people from all backgrounds and types of trauma and can teach them how to process their feelings in a healthy manner.
The Benefits of Trauma-Informed Care
There are many benefits of participating in trauma-informed care for patients whose life is fractured by a traumatic event. They learn how to talk about their feelings effectively while developing new skills that promote healthy thoughts and behaviors.
Just some of the benefits of trauma-informed care include:
- Rediscover their power to change – Trauma makes people feel powerless, which is one main reason why they turn to drugs and alcohol instead of asking for help and appearing weak. Trauma-informed care works to remind patients of the power they have to change their thoughts and how they view the world around them.
- A safe space to confront their trauma – Patients work with therapists in a safe and private space where they can talk about their feelings without judgment. Therapists work with patients in group and one-on-one therapy to develop healthy coping skills.
- Prevention of re-traumatization – Trauma-informed care helps patients learn to stand up for themselves and reduce the risk of putting themselves in the same situation that led to the traumatic event.
Colorado Medication Assisted Recovery: Your Best Choice for Trauma-Informed Care
What is trauma-informed care, and is it right for you? At Colorado Medication Assisted Recovery, our certified behavioral therapists will diagnose your condition and create a custom treatment program based on the traumatic event and severity of the addiction. Patients learn to confront and process their emotions without causing any negative feelings or emotions contributing to substance abuse.
When you are ready to regain control of your life, call 833.448.0127 or fill out our online form today for more information about our outpatient addiction treatment center.