Why is trauma-informed care important for addiction recovery? Men and women who experience past or recent trauma can struggle with their feelings which can lead to depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and addiction if left untreated. In some cases, the patient will have a co-occurring condition of addiction and other mental health concerns. Trauma-informed care provides those in recovery with a comprehensive treatment plan that addresses their feelings created by a single or reoccurring traumatic event and any depression or addiction symptoms related to it.
At Colorado Medication Assisted Recovery, we work with individuals from all walks of life who are coping with trauma and any addiction or other mental health concerns. We take the time to connect with each patient to create an atmosphere of trust and open communication. In addition, we offer medication-assisted treatment to minimize any symptoms that are causing a disruption to their recovery. Continue reading to learn why is trauma-informed care important, then call 833.448.0127 or fill out our online form today to speak with one of our knowledgeable staff.
Why Is Trauma-Informed Care Important?
A traumatic event is anything that causes significant emotional or mental distress. It can affect children, teens, and adults and impact their ability to lead normal, healthy lives. When trauma happens, some people can experience painful feelings, memories, or nightmares that they are unable to handle without help. In some cases, patients may experience flashbacks which make it seem like the trauma is happening again.
Common types of traumatic events include:
- Emotional or physical abuse by a parent or loved one
- Car accidents
- Natural disaster
- Sexual assault
- Current affairs
- Death of a parent or loved one
At Colorado Medication Assisted Recovery, we work closely with each patient to understand their condition and create a beneficial treatment program. We will go over each step of the recovery journey with you and answer any questions you have about what trauma-informed care is and how what types of treatments are available.
The Benefits of Trauma-Informed Care
Trauma-informed care is an essential treatment program for those who have experienced a traumatic event that impacts their mental health. It teaches them to face their trauma in a safe environment and discover the power within them to make positive changes.
Just some of the benefits of trauma-informed care include:
- Therapists work one-on-one with each patient to build trust and rapport while helping them feel safe. They talk through the trauma while developing coping skills for managing their symptoms and triggers.
- Therapists work with them in private to teach them how to stop negative thinking patterns and replace them with positive thoughts about themselves and the world around them.
- Patients will have an opportunity to bond with their peers during group therapy as they practice coping skills and talk about their struggles and triumphs. They listen to peer feedback and gain new perspectives on how trauma affects all people, no matter where they come from.
- Patients will also participate in family therapy to help parents, siblings, and spouses. They learn all about how the trauma is impacting the entire family and how to make healthy changes at home to support their recovery.
Why is trauma-informed care important? If any past or recent trauma is not properly addressed, it can negatively impact your mental health and create worsening depression, anxiety, and potentially death by suicide or accidental overdose.
Colorado Medication Assisted Recovery: Providing Trauma-Informed Care for Addiction Recovery
What is trauma-informed care? Trauma-informed care helps those in recovery cope with past or recent traumas in a safe and encouraging environment. At Colorado Medication Assisted Recovery, we will answer all of your questions about your treatment program and what to expect during the program. If you or a loved one is struggling with their mental health due to a traumatic event, call 833.448.0127 today for more information about our addiction treatment center.